Monday, August 14, 2017

Diversity

We live in a time where everyone  is being stuffed into ever tighter, more exclusive little boxes. In the names of "diversity" and "tolerance", we celebrate the things that make us different from everyone else, and ridicule anyone not like us.

I am an American.

Aside from being a Christian, this is the only other trait I identify with, or allow to define me. I am not a "white man", a "straight man", a "Conservative", or even an "Independent". All of these things are true about me, but they are not "who I am". (No more than my arm is the entirety of my body.)

When I was younger, it was considered to be a good thing to have friends and acquaintances that were different than you. It was okay for a Republican to be buddies with a Democrat, or a cat person to hang out with dog people. We may have civilly disagreed on certain issues, but could still be friends, without hostility, demonization,or threats of rioting and violence.

Yes, there were racists and bigots back then, but they generally outed themselves through their words and deeds. They didn't need equal and opposite bigots on the other side to expose them. And, the general public mocked, ridiculed and marginalized them. We didn't give them credence and validation by throwing fits and behaving just as badly as they did.

In the last eight years (and especially in the past several months), I have lost some pretty close "friends" and even a few family members, just because they couldn't see past their own ideology, or look beyond mine. In every single case, I tried to extend the olive branch to them, and show them that their was more than just the things we disagree about, only to have them decide to turn their back on me anyway. It truly is their loss, and I really do feel sorry for them.

It's easy (and lazy) to just befriend people who are the same as you. It sets up a comfort zone, and you never have to really think about what you believe, or why.

The real challenge is finding people opposite of your beliefs, and building a true friendship with them anyway. You constantly learn to see things from a different perspective, and are always reevaluating you beliefs and values. Those that remain are strengthened and reinforced. Those that are shaken and weak, are changed or discarded. In the end (hopefully) both sides learn something new, and the bond between you grows stronger.

That's the way it should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment