Tuesday, August 16, 2016

The Art of Disagreement

One of my favorite past times (and another reason for this blog), is talking with people about the beliefs and issues of the day. I freely admit that (even in my private life) I am that guy... the one who will gladly discuss the "forbidden" topics (religion and politics) with total strangers.

I don't do it to stir, or create controversy. I do it because I'm genuinely interested in what people think, and why. If you tell me you're a Pagan Communist who believes in human sacrifice and enslavement, I truly want to know how you came to your beliefs. It doesn't mean that I will agree with you, but it also doesn't exclude us from talking to each other.

I have had several friends and acquaintances that were polar opposites from my personal views. In fact, once we got past the emotional defensiveness, most have discovered that we could have some of the most interesting and stimulating conversations of our lives. You get a certain quality of conversation with people you disagree with, that you can't find anywhere else in life (as long as both sides can remain civil, without yelling and name calling). Chances are, both parties will actually learn a few things along the way.

Lately, I find it sad that this point of view seems to be getting rarer and rarer. It just seems to me that we're all missing out, when we surround ourselves only with people who agree with us, and shut out those who don't. You can never truly know the whole story, if all you listen to is one side of things.

Do I get frustrated and passionate about my beliefs? Yes, on occasion. I may not like what others are saying, or feel that they're being ignorant, but I would never deny them the right to express their opinions. Just as, I will never allow anyone to silence mine.

We can disagree, without being disagreeable. In fact, that's one of the things that has always made this country so great... Freedom of Speech, and the willingness to hear all sides of an argument.

I may mock and ridicule certain opposing views (just as I have plenty of mine mocked and ridiculed), but I will never try to stop anyone from stating them.

Just remember the words of 16th century philosopher Voltaire...

"Although I disagree with what you say, I will defend your right to say it with my life."

No comments:

Post a Comment