Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas to one and all!

This year, I think it would be a good idea to remember exactly what this season is supposed to mean...

Of course, Christmas is the time when Christians celebrate the birth of our Savior, Jesus Christ. But, the holiday actually means so much more than that, and can hold special meanings for nonbelievers as well.

If you don't believe in Jesus as the True Son of God, that is your right and choice. (It's also between you and God, and you'll have to square with that someday.) You Don't have to believe in Christ, to see and recognize the universal truth and wisdom in His teachings. I mean what kind of sociopathic monster doesn't agree with peace on earth, or treating others the way you want to be treated? Despite all the ideological rhetoric and nonsense from our media and politicians, who seriously doesn't want to help the poor?

As a former Athiest, I can tell you that, wishing someone a Merry Christmas doesn't hurt anyone physically, morally, or financially. It doesn't threaten anyone's core beliefs (unless, your beliefs weren't that solid and strong to begin with). It's not meant to offend or insult, but merely wish you health and prosperity in a season the believers hold most sacred. If anything, you should feel honored that someone cares enough to think of you, and wish you well. (I feel the same when someone wishes me a Happy Hanukkah, or a Happy Kwanzaa.)

In any case, even when I didn't believe, I knew better than to get insulted by the blessing. At the very least, I looked at it as no skin off of my nose. Someone wished me happiness during a holiday I didn't believe in... so what? It's not like they threatened to burn my house, kill my family or eat my dog.

So, again I say... Merry Christmas to all. And, if that offends you... grow the hell up.

No comments:

Post a Comment