Sunday, September 25, 2016

A Trip to the Museum

I took my son to a Science Museum yesterday, and the exhibits were both entertaining and educational, for the most part. However, they had a "special exhibit" going this month (entitled: "Race: Are We Really So Different?"). I was apprehensive about going in there with my autistic and impressionable son, given the current climate in America today, but my wife and I took him in anyway.

Most of the displays were well informed, and insightful. Even the ones covering slavery and segregation were fairly balanced. (My son thought it was interesting to learn that all humans originated in Africa.)

Then, I got to the display in the back of the room, the one I hoped wouldn't be there, and dreaded. It was a video of different people, of different ethnic backgrounds, talking about their views and perceptions. Most of them were interesting and made me think.

However, when the Caucasian came up, it was an older man who started off by saying that it took him 53 years to realize how much his color had given him privileges and advantages black people never had.

If you've read any of my previous posts, you probably know that I walked out, right then and there. But (against my better judgement) I kept my mouth closed on the subject.

In an earlier entry, I described my childhood (and I know several others who have gone through similar circumstances). I described being bullied and picked on due to my skin color and poverty.

"White Privilege" is a racist lie, made up by people too lazy to elevate their own circumstances in life, so they feel the need to tear others down. It's what I've started calling "justifiable racism", where someone feels they are entitled to be bigoted. And, like all racism, it's wrong.

Rather than throw a huge fit, and demand that they remove the exhibit (the way those on the Left frequently do). I exercised my common sense and simply walked out. Even  though what they are preaching is disgusting and hurtful, it is still their right to say it. Just as it is my right not to listen or participate.

That's the way our rights are supposed to work. You cannot defend only the rights of those you agree with. You must accept and defend everyone's equally, regardless, or you all lose.

No comments:

Post a Comment